Snack Wars

Selling treats at school is okay only under certain circumstances

Snack Wars

Tykee Tucker

Call it a scuttlebutt over Skittles. A tiff over Twix.

Rules governing sales of candy and snacks at Cross Creek have caused some confusion and hot tempers among some of the staff and students. Rumor has it that teachers are no longer allowed to sell snacks during school hours. Why has this all of a sudden become very demanding at school?

Ms. Ferda on the 200 hall said she had been approved to keep selling snacks during and after school only to be able to make up the $600 for the senior trip  that was stolen this year.

“If it wasn’t for that I would not have been approved, and only allowed to sell after school hours,” Ferda said.

However, shortly after she was interviewed, Ms. Ferda said she had been told by administration to stop selling.

She said she believes she makes more profit during school because more students are hungry during the day. Student athletes coming by for snacks before games or practice also bring swift business, she said.

Computer and web design teacher also sells school supplies and snacks.

However, Dr. Good was not approved to sell her snacks during school and made it very clear that teachers are not allowed to.

Dr. Good selling her snacks for Career Technical Agriculture Education when they head out to competitions. The money she gets from those sales help pay for trips for students who may have trouble affording it.

According to Richmond County Board of Education Rule 1 (n), it is forbidden to  “sell, distribute or take orders for any items for the purpose of raising money for personal gain or for non-school-related activities at school or during school hours. Soliciting, selling or collecting from school personal by students on campus is forbidden.

Fundraisers are acceptable, but only at privately operated businesses in order to raise funds for clubs, according to board rules. Those fundraisers must have prior approval.”

In other words,  it’s okay to sell items to students that are appropriate after school hours, but it must still be approved by an administrator.

Dr. Moore the principal of Cross Creek said the wellness policy adopted by the local school board is the main reason for the snack-selling restrictions.

“Also, by selling snacks during school hours you are competing with the breakfast and lunch nutrition policy,” Moore added.

Moore said this also explains why the snack machines are not on  during school hours.