Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Beasley

Teacher with a twist

Tashay Livingston

Mr. Beasley is a former Cross Creek student turned teacher.

Many people know Mr. Kevin Beasley as the cool U.S. History teacher, or maybe their instructor for Individuals and The Law.

Everyone knows that he loves to play basketball, and he knows exactly how to interest students in learning.

Actually, if you’ve taken his class before, I’m sure you know that he teaches at the University of Phoenix in the evenings. It seems that everything about Mr. Beasley is in plain sight … so what’s the surprise?

Believe it or not, Mr. Beasley was a student here at Cross Creek before he began teaching here. Although they were filled with different faces, he walked these exact same halls that more than 1,000 students walk today.

Mr. Beasley’s first year at Cross Creek was 1999. His class, Class of 03’, was the first four-year graduating class Cross Creek has ever had, being that the school was built in 1999.

Throughout the high school, he was known as a great student. He held a 3.5 GPA and had plenty of friends.

Mrs. Michelle Olivares, a current English/Language Arts teacher at the school, was one of Mr. Beasley’s teachers. She has nothing but remarkable things to say about the student-turned-teacher.

“Kevin was a great student,” she said. “He sat in the front of the class and he was quiet, but he had a great sense of humor.”

When asked if she expected Beasley to become a teacher, Olivares says she was shocked.

“I didn’t know he was interested in teaching,” she said. “I have heard nothing but great things and I’m proud of him. I love my profession and to know that a teacher can have the type of impact on a student to make them want to teach … it’s flattering. If he learned from anything, I hope it was the joy of teaching.”

Mr. Beasley only went to Cross Creek for three years. He enjoyed playing sports and hanging with his friends up until his junior year, during which he didn’t participate in any sports and spent more time focusing on his education. He began night school so he would get college credits and the number of required classes hadn’t changed.

He graduated a year early because during this time, seven classes a day were not essential to move to the next grade. The school was quite different when Beasley was a student here. Beasley recalled that there was no tardy policy and the students only saw the principal when there was a problem.

Beasley was working on his master’s degree when his mom, who was lunchroom manager at Cross Creek, told him there was an opening.

“It’s funny how it worked out,” says Beasley “I came to see my mom after school one day, and she told me that there was a new position that had just opened and that I should go get my résumé. I brought it right back and Mrs. Warr, school principal at the time, told me I had an interview the next day.”

He says it was kind of weird being shown around the school as a teacher when he was previously a student. The interview went well and sure enough, he got the job.

Mr. Beasley now teaches on the 400 hall in the class of one of his old teachers, Mrs. Enfinger. The class used to be a religion class as well as a history class.

After graduating high school and spending some time in college, Mr. Beasley’s original goal was to be on the principal level.

However, he enjoys his job because he has a direct influence on the education of students. He started off teaching 9th grade economics, which he says was the most difficult. H then moved on to teach U.S. History.

“I love teaching U.S. History,” he said. “People don’t understand a lot of the situations we are in now, but if we pay attention to our history … it’s all there.”

Outside of school, Mr. Beasley loves to travel.

“I have been to Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, all around Latin America,” Beasley said.  “I’ve even thought about going to teach in Korea. I wouldn’t change anything because I enjoy helping people.”

And he does have one thing to tell his students: “Leave excuses at the door. It’s easy to point the finger and say that a teacher gave you a grade … but it’s totally up to you.”