Clubbin’ it up at Cross Creek

Cross Creek’s club offerings run the gamut from academic to fishing

CTAE offers many of the clubs held every other Wednesday

Hannah Glover

Every other Wednesday at Cross Creek, announcements roll over the PA calling students to various clubs.

Trouble is, many students, and even some teachers, don’t know what all of the different clubs are or do.

The Cross Creek Times spoke with some of the heads of the school clubs to find out more information for students and teachers.

Dr. Good, who is over the FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) Club, says students in her club learn leadership skills, perform community work, and compete on region, state and national levels.

She says students grow a lot as individuals as a result of participating in the club.

“I have noticed that it has helped many students come out of their shells by their twelfth grade year and blossom,” she said.

Mr. Bufford, who is over DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America, says students do a lot of community service projects, compete in various events, go on trips and have parties.

“It’s fun,” Bufford said. “Kids have fun when they go overnight trips.”

Mrs. Howard, who is over the Drama Club, says students will be learning about classic Hollywood movies and famous actors like Marilyn Monroe. Students who enroll in the club must pay a $10 fee, she said.

“I Love it,” she said.

Mrs. Thomas, who is over Positive Ladies Club, says the organization is about striving to empower positive girl’s education, and to go out in the community service to lift potential of young women.

There are also some new interesting clubs this year.

Coach Cummings has started the fishing club because of his love for the sport.

“I hold a deep love for the art of fishing,” Cummings said. “I have been fishing since I was a child and jumped at the opportunity to share one of my passions with others, hence the beginning of the fishing club. The
possibilities are endless as students may come out and release their fears and learn a new skill or sharpen an old one.”

The fishing club will meet bi-weekly on Wednesday afternoons, time and location TBD.

Another new club that was announced this week was the Cyber-Security Club, designed to teach students ways to avoid computer hackers.

Here are some other clubs at Cross Creek:

Art Club – Ms. Peake, appreciation of art

Beta Club – Ms. Cole, academic achievement

Drama Club – Ms. Howard, acting and movie appreciation

Of America Club (FCCLA) – Ms. Moore

Of America (FBLA) – Ms. Good/ Ms. Gilchrist

Marketing Club – Mr. Bufford

Math Club –Ms. Maddox

Math Team –Ms. Williams

Media Club –Ms. Orne

National Honor Society –Ms. Bezue/Ms. Olivares

Student Council –Mr. Baker

Technology Skills Association – Mr. Smith

FFA – Ms. Highfill

Yearbook – Ms. Morales