Stealing parking

Just because students have assigned parking places doesn't mean their spot will be there when they arrive at school

Daryl Littles

Just because students have assigned parking places doesn’t mean their spot will be there when they arrive at school

Senior Shereece Holmes has felt the frustration of pulling into the Cross Creek High School parking lot and discovering that her assigned spot is occupied by another car.

The student is dual-enrolled in college and high school classes and doesn’t arrive at the school until later in the day. Still, she thinks her spot should be there when she gets here.

“It makes me mad, because I don’t come to school until the middle of the day and have to find a new spot,” she said.

Students who drive to school have no doubt experienced the same thing: the stolen parking spot.

The first nine weeks hasn’t even ended yet,  and more and more students are driving to school. Some students have parking permits and others do not.

There are a lot of complaints about people stealing others’ parking, but school and district officials say enforcing penalties for violators is easier said than done.

Students must pay $25 to park in the student parking lot. Once a student pays the fee, he will receive his permit, which has a parking spot number on it.

Shereece said she knows who parks in her parking spot, but she really can’t do anything about it.

Other students really don’t care.

Senior Samantha Miller said, “I really don’t care because I don’t park in my parking spot”.

She also hard to see the numbers on some of the parking lots.

Many students want something done about the problem.

Commander Shaw is the instructor over student parking. He said he wants to boot or tow students’ cars who violate the parking guidelines. But he said he lacks the power to do so.

“I’m a toothless tiger,” he said.

When asked about the issue, Cross Creek principal, Dr. Moore, said to contact the school board.

Contacted at the Richmond County Board of Education, Controller Gene Spires said that parking enforcement is up to individual schools.

“If someone pays for their spot it’s their spot,” Spires said. “And if someone takes your spot there should be some action.”

Dr. Moore said he was going to continue looking in to the situation.