Sporting the ink

Some students feel comfortable with their tattoos, even if parents weren’t

Hannah Glover

Tattoo on Trenton Richardson’s bicep

Catherine Slade, Staff Writer

Though tattoos have caused a riot throughout the years, you better believe Cross Creek students are standing up against the scattered opinions of the generation before them … their parents.

So should parents really allow their children to get a tattoo?

It depends.

Studies show that parents increasingly support the decision to get a tattoo. According to a ballot on popular advice website Cafemom.com, 15 percent of moms say they’d willingly allow their teens to get a tattoo while 30 percent say they’re either unsure or are open to the idea, depending on the age.

In the United States nowhere does the federal law state a required age to be tattooed. When a person turns 18 they are legally considered an adult, although some states allow minors to be tattooed with a parents’ consent.

Senior Trenton Richardson said his parents were also accepting of his tattoos.

Another tattoo on Trenton Richardson
Hannah Glover
Another tattoo on Trenton Richardson

“My parents didn’t have a problem with me getting tattoos,” he said. “They willingly paid for all of them.” Trenton currently has five tattoos and counting.

One piece of advice people who have tattoos share is: Stick the landing, may it be tears or a brooding conscious holding you back just keep it together, because the truth is … tattoos can definitely hurt. If you’re planning to get a tattoo anytime soon, prepare yourself mentally and physically. The process has been described to be similar to bee stings or sunburn. Placement, size, type and artist skill, however, can make a significant difference.

We’re all guilty of searching Google once in a while or maybe always, but this is not one of those times. Do you listen to the endless varieties of stories your parents tell you about the horror called drinking and partying? Yup, I didn’t think so.  Don’t make the mistake and read other people’s dreaded experiences.

Cross Creek junior Chelsea Carter said, “I was going to get one for my seventeenth birthday, then I talked to some people and I turned around real quick.”

Now don’t worry you’re not alone, consider the fact that almost everybody is nervous when they go to get a tattoo.

In 2013 Pew research Center charted the statistics of tattoos, stating that 36 percent of adults 18-25 have at least one tattoo. So why exactly have these everlasting body emblems become such a huge rave with the youth?

The majority of the teen population state that their tattoos have a significant meaning to them. Many would willingly give the canvas of their body to represent a special time in their life or a reaped love one.

As heartfelt as that is statistics also show that 31 percent of teens with a tattoo say it makes them feel sexy, and 29 percent feel rebellious.

“It’s hard to explain what each tattoo really means. I can’t really pick a favorite either,” Trenton said. ” They’re all a part of me now.”