“Kickin’ It with Katie”: Should letterman jackets just be for jocks?

Other extracurricular activities boast hard-working students, too

Staff Photo

Catherine Slade, Staff Writer

Do students that do extracurricular activities deserve to wear a letterman jacket?

A mile stone in many high school athletes life, the lettermen jacket, is only awarded to the varsity of the school. Many work their butts off just for the glory of being able to wear this “royal cloth.”  Yet others try to take the fame. Should students that don’t participate in a sport really deserve a jacket?

Some would argue that choir and band work just as hard as our team sports. Cross Creek Junior Kayla Carswell states, “I stay after school sometimes for FFA just like the sports teams.” This may be the case for others as well, but is the work load really the same?

Statistics show that about 58% of high school students participate in afterschool activities. This in Cross Creek mostly represents FFA, DECA, and NJROTC.  With a little more than half of the school population in these activities, it raises more questions. For instance, how many participation hours must you complete in order to earn a letterman jacket?

Some would argue that choir and band work just as hard as our team sports.”

— Katie Slade

A letter jacket is a jacket traditionally worn by high school to represent school and team pride as well as to display personal awards earned in athletics, also known as “varsity jackets”.

As of now Cross Creek students of all kind are allowed to receive a letterman jacket once paid for, which can cost anywhere from $150 to $175.

Who do you think deserves a varsity jacket?

“I think team sports should because they’re doing more than the average student so they deserve a letterman jacket to show forth of their extra effort,” States junior Kayla Shull.

“Students that are in clubs do deserve jackets; it shows that they support the school,” States senior Tamara Wilson.

“Only jocks deserve a jacket. They do a lot of exercise and work their butts off,” States junior Rebecca Hill.