Homecoming queen goes national

Samantha Miller to perform for thousands during bowl game

Je'Kevia Brown

Cross Creek homecoming queen Samantha Miller

Je'Kevia Brown, Staff Writer

While thousands of viewers tune in to the AutoZone Liberty Bell Bowl on Dec. 29, one of Cross Creek’s own will be gracing the field during the halftime show.

After winning homecoming queen, Samantha Miller received an application through the Miss America homecoming pageant association to participate in the event, which is held at Memorial Stadium in Memphis, Tenn.

“They only chose 110 girls out of all 50 states to represent their school and their state at the AutoZone Liberty Football Classic,” Miller said. “And I was one of those 110 girls and I will be representing Cross Creek and Miss Georgia.”

The Liberty Bowl is an annual U.S. American college football bowl game played in late December or early January since 1959. Since 1965, the game has been played in Memphis. For its first five years, it was played in Philadelphia. Since 2004, the game has been sponsored by Memphis-based auto parts retailer AutoZone.

“I feel very blessed because if it wasn’t for the students at Cross Creek that voted for me I wouldn’t even have this opportunity,” Miller said. “And if it wasn’t for (literature teacher) Mr. Jackson and my parents and the teachers that pushed me this far, I wouldn’t even be able to imagine what it’s like … I’m very thankful.”

Miller will also be performing during half-time featuring artists such as Sara Evans, Leann Rimes, The Temptations and The Beach Boys, nationally on ESPN. She will be participating in the Saint Jude’s luncheon and the football classic parade.

“I’m very excited,” Miller said. “I’m ready for Christmas to already be over with. I’m just ready to be there and be on the field.”

The game is at 1 p.m. Check local listings for channel.