Just a pinch

Students turn out in high numbers to give blood

Brian Neill

Phlebotomist Shekeyla Brown draws blood from sophomore Mark Jordan.

Brian Neill, News Adviser

With a chill in the air and faces that ranged from anxious to confident, Cross Creek students turned out in droves to give a vital part of themselves to a good cause: blood donation.

Two, large mobile lab buses from Shepeard Community Blood Center were parked at the back of the school to accept donors throughout the day.

For some students, like senior Samantha Miller, it was their first time.

“I’m scared I’m going to die,” Samantha said. “I’ve never given blood so I’m freaking out. I’m really scared, because they just said one boy threw up.”

For others, like sophomore Mark Jordan, it was a walk in the park.

Mark gave an affirmative nod as phlebotomist Shekeyla Brown gently inserted the needle in his arm.

Richard Harris (clockwise from left), Will Yarbrough, and Cody Olive fill out paperwork before giving blood.
Brian Neill

Although many students put their fears and apprehensions aside to donate blood, some students were unable to give.

“I can’t give blood because I’m not 110 pounds,” said senior, Nadia Bell.

Nadia said she really wanted to give, “because my mom worked at Red Cross for a really long time.”

Senior Malcolm Robinson was also not able to give blood because he had recently gotten a tattoo.

“They wouldn’t let me do it because I’m tatted,” Malcolm said. “You have to have the tattoo for one year.”

Blood bank officials said the prohibition against recently tattooed donors has to do with federal regulations protecting against infections.

Officials said the amount of blood collected at Cross Creek would be reported next week.

Cody Olive, a senior, was also new to giving blood.

“It was a little intimidating at once because I’ve never done anything like that before,” Cody said. “The needle was kind of big. It was a little bigger than most shot needles at the doctors. But once they got the ball rolling, it was pretty smooth.

“Would I do it again? Yeah.”