Erase this word

Isn’t it time we stop using the “n” word?

Staff illustration

Daryl Littles, Staff Writer

As you walk through the halls of our school you might hear many students saying the “N” word. The word is becoming as common as saying “hello” or “goodbye”.

Mostly the word is tossed around by African American students, but that definitely doesn’t make it right in my opinion.

As an African-American, I feel like the word should be used by no one, white or black.

Historically the word was used in racial crimes against blacks, like the raping of slaves and lynchings.

I feel if we do not like the painful events and the hateful things that were said and done during those times, we should not continue to use the n-word.

As an African-American, I feel like the word should be used by no one, white or black.”

— Daryl Littles, staff writer

Sure, some blacks say that they now own the word and that they can say it whenever they want. We say we have changed the meaning of the word and that it does not mean what it used to. But when someone of another race uses any version of the word, we get red in the face, we yell till we’re hoarse, and in some cases we fight till blood covers our fist.

Why is that different when we call ourselves that word?

Many people in African-American history fought so that no one would be called the n-word. They fought so that everyone would be equal and that no one would be judged for the color of their skin.

If we strive to be equal, why do people still use racist terms and why do African-Americans insist on calling their own race the same word that brought pain to their forefathers?