On target

Neva Philp now ranks 17th in the nation in her riflery class

Lindsay Pierce

Cross Creek senior Neva Philp ranks 17th in the nation in her class in riflery.

Lindsay Pierce, Staff Writer

They were 229 of the best rifle shooters, but one of Cross Creek’s own came out on top.

Senior Neva Philp placed 17th at Gary Anderson CMP Competition Center in Camp Perry, Ohio in March.

The 18-year-old’s score of 554 out of 600 made her 17th in the nation in terms of target rifle competition.

And in that true competitive spirt, Neva didn’t think that was good enough.

“I was a little disappointed ’cause I thought I could do better,” Neva said. “But I was still happy to be there and the placement that I got. I mean, I tried my best at it.” 

Neva said she practiced three to four times a day every week. She was very persistent in her pursuit of victory at the competition.

It was something I wanted to do since I was a kid. When I was a kid I was always watching western rifle shows.”

— Neva Philp

Commander Shaw, who is over the rifle team, said he was pleased with Neva’s performance.

“Neva was the best shooter at the end of the year,” Shaw said.

Ironically, back in her freshman year Neva did not make it on the team. But in her sophomore year she caught up quickly.

“It was something I wanted to do since I was a kid.” she says, of eventually getting on the team. “When I was a kid I was always watching western rifle shows.”

What was it like being at the national championship?

“At practice I was a little nervous on the second day,” Neva said. “And on the third day my nervousness went down progressively.”