The dress code blues

Students complain but school dress codes are here to stay.

Holes in jeans are one of the most frequent dress code violations at Cross Creek.

Karah Diehl

Karah Diehl and Brynn Knight, Staff Writers

Many highschoolers today best express themselves visually with the way they dress. 

This can be a problem at Cross Creek, especially since dress code limits most styles. 

For example, holes in one’s jeans seem to be one of the main violations with dress code right now. 

One Cross Creek freshman, R.J. Shipley, declared, “Holes in your pants don’t mean nothing. I mean as long as we have pockets to carry our stuff, why should it matter?”  

He also feels there is nothing wrong with joggers and sweats. 

“Joggers have pockets too,” Shipley said.  “They don’t have holes or anything, so why could that be distracting?” 

Assistant principal, Mr. Parker, says his gut feeling about dress code is “as long as you’re covered I’m fine.”

“I’m not really worried about hair color,” Parker added. “Nose rings don’t affect me.”

But because his position requires him to abide by the school board’s rules, he upholds those rules. 

I’m the employee of Richmond County school system. We have a very specific dress code. I enforce it because I’m an employee.”

— Assistant Principal Tim Parker

Senior Rio Laurel believes that her clothing doesn’t have an impact on other students’ academic performance. 

“My clothing shouldn’t distract you from your work,” she said. “If it does then I’m sorry you have a short attention span, but that`s not my fault!” 

Rio said that not all kids want to be limited to dress or act a certain way. 

“You’ve got individuals who stand out, not (wanting) to be in,” Rio said. “You got rebels – I don’t care; I’m a rebel.”  

In the months of August and September combined, there have been 19 referrals for dress code violations, said Parker.

The top two dress code violations are having holes in jeans, and wearing tights.

Parker said that male administrators typically deal with male students and female administrators deal with the female students.

But Parker said the male and female distinction doesn’t really matter when the dress code clearly states expectations.

“To me it doesn’t matter if you’re male or female,” Parker said. “If you’re going to have a dress code, if you’re going to have a uniform standard that you go by, it needs to be equally applied to everyone. It shouldn’t matter … I’m a professional. I’m going to do it in a professional manner.”