Throwback Flick: “The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Throwback Flick:

Karah Diehl, Staff Writer

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is a 2012 movie based on the book of the same name, written by Stephen Chbosky.

It’s basically the coming up of a teenager who starts high school (Logan Lerman) and has had some previous mental abuse, and throughout the movie he tried to overcome it by meeting a new group of friends (Emma Watson, Ezra Miller).

As he got closer to them he began to become happier and stopped writing in his diary, But as high school passed that year, he fell in love with them and began to realize next year he would be all alone again and would lose them forever (they were seniors).

He began to get bad again, and everything began to just fall apart.

Throughout the movie Charlie has flashbacks of his aunt who is obviously no longer here with us, and the pieces never really added up. All we know is Charlie loved her dearly.

By the end of the movie when he went mad you do come to find out he was sexually abused by his aunt and he thought it was okay as a child so he never told anyone.

I feel like this move can make a huge impact on anyone who’s going through high school suffering from not just a mental illness, but just anything that’s not going too great.

It really shows you no matter what happens in life, if you just be yourself things will come to the light and you will finally be happy again.

If I could change one thing about this movie, I would loved for them to tell us more information on his childhood and what was going  through the mind of Charlie as a child, but hey there’s a book for that. This movie got 46 nominations and 19 wins.