Pitt: The Man Behind the Badge

Officer+Pitt+

File Photo

Officer Pitt

Students at Cross Creek High School know him as Officer Pitt, but at home he is known as husband to his second wife and dad to a third-grader and tenth- grader. The Cross Creek Times got a chance to catch up with the man who is, “just a regular guy, but rough around the edges,” in hopes of getting better understanding of who he is as a person.

Pitt was born in Somerset, Bermuda, and moved to Brooklyn, N.Y. at the age of 2. When asked about his growing up in New York, he said it was a much different time than it is now. New York was calmer then, he said. At the age of 12 he moved to Sumter, S.C., where he lived until the age of 27.

The school resource officer met his first wife in Sumter. The two were high school sweethearts. Pitt and his first wife have one child, Ashley. Before he was known as Officer Pitt, or even got involved in law enforcement, he held many other jobs. One of his jobs was working for Pinewood Drywall, a business his family owned. The business served  the Southeast region.

He then moved to Columbia,S.C., where he worked for the U.S. Census Bureau. He helped with planning and zoning and assisted in mapping out the city of Columbia. Pitt went on to work as a code enforcement officer, which began his first start in law enforcement. During training, there was an exercise that caused Pitt to be put in handcuffs. Trouble was, no one could put him in handcuffs. Those at training saw potential in Pitt, which later got him his opportunity to go to the police academy.

Pitt went on to work for the Columbia County Sheriff’s department for eight years. During these eight years he worked as a narcotics investigator. He later became a senior investigator. Pitt was also part of the crime suppression team and also handled environmental crimes. Pitt helped catch a serial rapist at Paine College. He was also partly responsible for locking up Christopher Jeburk, a convicted felon who escaped prison four times and was known for the string of bank robberies he pulled off along the East Coast of the United States.

While Pitt has enjoyed his profession, it wasn’t always glamorous. Pitt lost a good friend of his, Captain Robby Bishop, who was shot in his face while writing a traffic citation. Pitt commemorates and honors him by wearing a blue band on his wrist every day.Pitt has been at Cross Creek for years. He loves working here. He does miss working with crimes but he values “saving young people from stupidness” and making a difference in the lives of students much more, especially when they come up to appreciate and thank him for keeping them on the right path.