Bring Your Own Technology program coming to Cross Creek

Brandon Rios, a Cross Creek junior, does research in the media center

Hunter Chavis

Imagine a school with more advanced options. Options that may even include using your cell phone. Or maybe your laptop. What about your tablet? Soon, we’ll even have those options. Coming next semester, maybe even sooner, students will be allowed to have various pieces of technology for instructional use.

“It’s pretty exciting that we’re moving into the 21st Century,” said Cross Creek Principal Dr. Moore.

But as exciting as it may be, there are still many questions as to how it will work. What types of devices will be allowed, and when? How will teachers monitor whether they are being used effectively and appropriately?

Those are just a couple of questions in the minds of administrators and students as the “bring your own technology” concept is set into motion.

“We have to go slow in order to go fast as we go forward with the situation” said Dr. Moore

School-wide WI-FI will be installed and students will start being able to bring their own technology sometime. The initiative will be rolled out sometime between October and January, administrators said.

Many people think the technology initiative will be a great addition to our school. Others however, aren’t entirely comfortable with the idea.

Students at Richmond County Technical Career Magnet School are already able to bring their own technology, according to a recent story in The Augusta Chronicle.

The article stated that it was up to teachers at the school to decide the extent of technology that students are allowed to bring and use in the classroom.

Controlling access to the Internet is to be determined by the Richmond County Board of Education.

“The Central office is to control our use”, said Media Specialist Mrs. Orne.

Raheem Frison, a junior who attends Cross Creek High School, said he believes that students will have to be responsible under the new initiative.

“It’s good and bad,” Frison said. “But it does increase technology use and teach students a new level of responsibility.”

Senior Emily Jimenez didn’t have to think too long about the new technology initiative.

“I think it’s really great,” she said.

However, Officer Phillips, the new Cross Creek resource officer, believes the technology initiative could come with problems.

“It would be too much of a distraction,”  she said.

Assistant Principal Sheahan thinks the technology will benefit school instruction.

“I’m so excited,” she said.