Fashion forward at Cross Creek

A student views fashion trends on the Internet in Ms. Smith's class.

Marquita Snelling

A student views fashion trends on the Internet in Ms. Smith’s class.

Throughout the year at Cross Creek, students in Ms. Smith’s fashion marketing class are hard at work, creating things like bow ties made from things from their house.

When it comes to fashion, these students know what is trending.

Students like Iris Christie and Yavonka Godbee have many ideas about clothes or materials that they think are in style at this very moment. For instance, Christie thinks “skinny jeans are obviously still in,” as well as “peplum shirts.” Christie also says “prints like cheetah and floral” are in style.

“Maxi dresses and Maxi shirts are popular too,” she added.

On the retro front, “90s overalls are coming back,” Christie added.

Smith thinks one of the most fun current fashion trends is 80s attire.

“I grew up in that era,” she said. “Neon colors are in style.”

Smith believes that fashion is more than just a matter of trend and looking good.

“Fashion could be a way to express the fun side of your personality,” Smith said.

As far as current trends, Godbee favors tribal print leggings, pencil skirts, leather and stressed jeans. Student Catherine Smith says high-waisted jeans are also in. Epiphany Hightower said “purple is really in” and also suggested pink as “the color that goes good with white.”

But what about the guys?

Emmanuel Mixon likes to shop for shoes at Footlocker and Champs.

Judging by trends at Cross Creek, guys also like wearing LRG shirts and button-down Polo shirts. Levi jeans and camouflage are also in style.

Smith said the fashion club meets on Tuesday, and there is a fashion show coming up in February.

An assortment of unique bow ties made by students in Ms. Smith's fashion marketing class.
An assortment of unique bow ties made by students in Ms. Smith’s fashion marketing class.