Thankless job

Custodians don’t let messy kids get them down

Thankless job

Staff Photo

Most students hate to clean their own room, so imagine what it must be like to clean an entire school.

From the classrooms to the lunchrooms, we have a staff that makes sure the job gets done.

What is it like to be a custodian in a school with more than 1,000 students?

For Annette Jones, a custodian who has worked in the school system for 20 years, it’s no big deal.

“I enjoy the students here.” Jones says. “I have kids of my own and I clean after them, so it’s not a big deal.”

Dennis Brown, head custodian, has worked at Cross Creek for 3 years. He acknowledges that some students can be pretty messy, but overall, he likes the job.

“Some kids don’t have manners, but most of them are pretty cool.” Brown says. “But the job isn’t too bad. If anything, I wish we had a little more help and some more supplies.”

Betty Odom came here from Westside High School and has been in the system for almost 25 years.

“I love working here,” she said. “ I try to keep up with my work every day and it’s not hard if you do what you’re supposed to do. But if you let yourself get behind then you will have a lot of work.”

The custodians don’t seem to have a problem with their jobs, but what do the students think about leaving a mess behind for them?

Makayla Moore, a freshman at Cross Creek, thinks that the custodians are very good

Mr. Brown and Ms. Odom work hard to keep the hallways and classrooms of Cross Creek clean.

at their jobs.

“The job takes a lot of courage … I don’t think I could do it.”

Natania Riley, a senior at Cross Creek, says that the custodians do a great job.

“I feel like they take pride in the halls of Cross Creek,” she said.