Do we need a dress code?

Do we need a dress code?

By Jarde’ Holliday

There is an ongoing debate in society over the issue of dress codes in schools. Whenever this topic is talked about by parents or teachers there are many opinions and different arguments about it.

For example, Cross Creek economics teacher Mrs. Brown said, “schools should enforce dress code, but it should be mainstreamed and it shouldn’t be directed towards a specific group of students.”

In my personal opinion I agree with what Mrs. Brown said because many dress codes are directed toward a specific group of students and it is not fair. Even though they try to make it equal toward everyone it can never be equal because not everyone is the same size.

As a full-figured, female student, I can say I have experienced what I feel is dress code bias at times. There were many experiences when I had to change my outfit to make it more acceptable to the teachers at various schools and when I saw how they treated other students differently I started not to listen to them.

Sometimes teachers or administrators discriminate by sizes. For example, in my years of high school I have seen so much discrimination in the form of teachers not scolding slender females as much as curvier students. I understand completely that you want to help the females present themselves in an appropriate way.

When asked, one Cross Creek senior said she hates the dress code.

“I want to be able to wear leggings and shorts to school,” the student said.

To be honest she has a point because you should be able to wear whatever you want to school and still be comfortable.

But it is also true there is a difference between being comfortable and taking advantage of it.

And what about uniforms?

According to be various web sources, schools in only 21 states actually enforce uniforms in schools.

Many parents and teachers think that having uniforms will improve on gang violence and bullying. I’m sorry to say, but it doesn’t help with gang violence and bullying because people will still find a way to find that flaw about someone and make fun of it.

In addition, the gang violence situation will not change just because of uniforms. There are many facts to show that it does not improve gang violence because students in gangs will still find a way out of school to fight.

Also, uniforms can be expensive. Some of those pants can be $20 and up, and buying several of a whole outfit can put people in economic hardship.

To be honest I agree to disagree, because there are good factors and bad factors about dress codes. We lose our rights to dress like we want to and our right to being comfortable in school, but then there people who would take advantage of us not having a dress code.

So like many things, whenever adults and teenagers finally agree about dress code, it will be too late for our generation.

The opinions expressed in editorials are not necessarily those of Cross Creek High School, its administration, or the Cross Creek Times.