Support starts with ourselves

Support starts with ourselves

Have you ever wanted someone to talk to you and there was no one there? Felt as if all your friends were fake, talked about you behind your back? Had problems at home but didn’t want to tell any of your friends your personal business? Basically, have you ever just needed support?

Support in anything. Maybe you are part of the LGTB community and feel alone, feel like people will judge you no matter what you say, no matter what your gender, ethnicity, age, etc. In today’s society, being a part of the LGBT community is more acceptable then it was 50 years ago. However, it is not acceptable to all people. There have been cases of bullying, people harming themselves, and even taking their own lives because people judged them and forced their beliefs on them. You should never be afraid to be yourself.

Say your parents are going through a divorce, argue constantly or you have an alcoholic parent, a parent who is addicted to drugs, or even in an abusive home. Maybe your parents just are constantly bringing you down. Let’s admit it, you are not going to be comfortable enough telling someone your business. The reasons why you feel that way could vary.  Maybe you do not want people looking at you differently or you are simply scared they will judge you, start not talking to you, shut you out or even laugh at you. So you hold your feelings inside, building them up, higher and higher, until eventually you overflow. No one should ever get to that point.

We get emotional over breakups, being stressed, a lot of school work, and for some of us, we  are the only ones bringing in an income into the  family. For some of us we are the ‘parent’ in the house.  So worrying about school, work, cleaning the house, and doing laundry and getting kids to bed, and getting them ready in the morning is a lot for us to handle.  At times we  may as if we are about to go overboard. If we are able to start a support group maybe we would be able to find people who would love to help out and lighten your load.

Teenager’s hormones are crazy, one day they are up, the other they are down. At times they can even be happy and sad at the same time. Even though a lot of us do not like to admit most of us have thought about self-harm, I have interviewed 40 students (10 seniors, seven freshman, 15 juniors and eight sophomores), and 32 of those students agreed they have thought about self-harm more than once. During this time in our lives I believe we can all use someone’s shoulder to cry on, a listening ear to vent to.

I believe we should sound the call to start a club or a support group for teens who need help.  We could all use someone to lean on.

Comment if you are interested, or inform me.

The opinions expressed in editorials are not necessarily those of Cross Creek High School, its administration, or the Cross Creek Times.