Bullying is no joke

Students should speak up before bullying does them in

Bullying is no joke

When you hear the word bully, what comes to mind? Pushing, teasing, talking about

someone. But that’s not all.

Sgt. Johnny Beard, an officer at Cross Creek High School, says that bullying can be anything someone does towards a student that he or she doesn’t like.

“If I see a student getting bullied,” Beard said, “I pull the person who is doing it to the

side and tell them I know what they’re doing and it’s wrong.”

A lot of times when students are being bullied, it goes unnoticed because a person like  Beard isn’t around.

Myiah Nickerson, a sophomore at Cross Creek, says she has never been bullied

before, but she knows exactly what a bully is.

“A bully is someone who belittles another person to make themselves feel good,”  Nickerson said.

About 81 percent  of Americans have been bullied at some point in their life and

approximately 1 in 6 high school students commit suicide or attempt it, because they have been victimized by bullies.

When students commit suicide it is not only affecting the person who does it, but it affects

everyone around them.

Many people are bullied because of the way they dress, the way they look, the way they sound.

Kierra Corley, a well-known student around the school, says she has been bullied

many times throughout all her years of school.

“I think that since I was bullied so much through school, I became one,” Corley said. “Nobody ever does anything to help me, so now I do the same things.”

Many students don’t realize that if they don’t say anything then there is not much to

be done. Teachers see students being rough nearly every day and sometimes they

can’t tell whether a student is playing or serious. It is up to the student to let them know.

There is never an excuse for bullying and if you don’t like what someone does, tell

someone who can help you. Don’t wait until it’s too late.