Knock knock. Go around.

Despite valid reasons, students gripe about back doors being locked.

Ms. Olivares prepares to lock the 200 Hall back door as a last student rushes in.

Staff Photo

You have just left one of your classes and you are now heading to your next class. You rush out into the hallway trying your best to get through the crowed hallway. You make it to your locker, you get your book and rush through the back way hoping you make it on time. But right at the moment you see the back door in sight, the teacher holding the door hears the tardy bell and closes it.

The rule is to not answer the door after the tardy bell. This is told to all the teachers on each hallway holding a door. It is also a rule that every student must be in his or her seat before the tardy bell rings.

After hallway doors are locked, they must remain locked, says Ms. Olivares, eleventh-grade Literature teacher who monitors the back doors on the 200 Hall.

“You are disrupting the classroom and your classmates from getting a good education because you are running late for class,“ Olivares said. “We do not set these rules just to be mean, but for your safety. We lock all the doors so that no one (comes in) that is not allowed to enter into the school building.”

Olivares understands that people can be late, but you should not be late to your first period class and if you are you must walk around the whole school and walk through the front doors so that the cameras can monitor you.

Jasmine Washington, a senior at Cross Creek, has been locked out of the back doors before. She dislikes the fact that she must walk around all the way to the front just to get to class.

“I feel as though walking around the building will have me even more late then what I could have been going through the back door,” she said.

Washington understands that Cross Creek principal, Dr. Moore, is trying to keep the students safe, but she still finds locking students out unnecessary.

Samantha Johnson, a junior at Cross Creek, has also been locked out from the back doors several times. Having to walk around the school makes her angry and she finds it pointless to go through this process just for being late.

What she dislikes the most is when she is banging on the door, but no one will answer it for her.

But locking the doors may provide an important lesson for Cross Creek students: the value of being on time.