MLK Day: Day of remembrance, or just a day off?

Some students say it reminds them of the great civil rights leader; others say it’s just another holiday

Martin Luther King Jr. is considered one of the most important African American men to have ever lived. During the 1950s-60s, King peacefully fought the prejudice and cruelty against African Americans. He started as a preacher at his local church, but quickly took a stand against the violent outbursts from both races.

On August 28, 1963, King gave his famous ‘I Have A Dream’ speech to over 250,000 civillians at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. He inspired many people and helped bring all races together in equality. Unfortunately, on April 4, 1968, King was shot down from the balcony of his hotel and killed.

To commemorate the man’s tireless efforts, he was given his own holiday. Celebrated on Martin Luther King Jr’s birthday every January, kids get out of school and we honor the memory of this courageous man.

Or do we?

Many students don’t think that it matters who the holiday is about. They just want to know whether or not they get to miss a day of school.

“I really don’t care who the holiday is about,” said Evan Lindsey. “I’m just happy to stay home for another day.”

Other students, though, find some time to just sit down and be grateful for who the day represents.

“I think that it’s really cool that we celebrate MLK Day,” says Clara Edmond, a freshman here at Cross Creek. “[King] did a lot for us as a nation. It’s dissapointing to see kids just ignore the fact that this day is for him and not just a way out of school.”

Edmond added that King was an inspiration and that more people should be grateful for what he did.

“He gave his life for what he believed in,” she said. “That’s a good a reason as any to celebrate someone.”

There is also a good middle-ground for the opposing opinions.

“Even though I’m happy to get out of school,” said Ariel O’Reily, “I still take a few minutes to remember who gave me this free-day and what happened during his time.”