Nerf Wars

Students engage in a whacky competition: Hands up! You’re about to be Nerfed.

Students in Nerf wars may find themselves staring down the barrel of one of these.

Jessica Johnson

Groups of Cross Creek students have entered into an all-out war.

A Nerf war, that is.

Nerf wars have been played out by boys and girls of all ages, for years.

A Nerf war is a competitive sport or activity involving Nerf Blasters or other foam-firing toy weapons. The term covers a wide range of games and gatherings, from informal shootouts in offices and basements to well-organized outdoor battles with high-powered modified blasters.

Since foam-firing guns are relatively safe and cheap, Nerf wars can include participants and battlefields otherwise unsuitable for airsoft and paintball.

Cross Creek students, sometimes with parental help, have created a well-organized Nerf war involving students from Cross Creek, as well as Hephzibah and A.R. Johnson high schools.

Michael King, a Cross Creek senior, said battle participants pay $10 to get on a team. Each team must have five players, and at least one girl, King said.

The teams are set to play one other team each week. Which teams are pitted against one another is decided by the teams pulling a number to start with, and by brackets being set by a parent, King explained.

Each week, if a player is shot, they have one chance to buy back in. But they can only buy back in once, King said.

Cross Creek senior Jacqulyn Cassaro, a seasoned Nerf war player, said the competitions are an adrenaline rush.

“These wars get so intense,” Cassaro said. “But they are so much fun.”

Cassaro copped to being  a “mole” in the previous war. Moles  give away where other players are, or where they live, so they could be shot and declared out for the week.

There are a few rules in this game.

There is no shooting of other players during school hours, on school grounds, or at school functions like sporting events. Students also can’t be shot with a Nerf gun while they are working. But once they clock out, let the shootouts begin.

Tyler Christmas, another Nerf War player from Cross Creek, says that the 2014 game has been way more fun and interesting than last year’s, since it got broken up.

Christmas is a senior, and says he would be more than happy to play again next year with all his friends and former classmates.

Nerf Wars can be very pricey. Some Nerf guns cost upwards of $50.

Including Tyler and his teammates, there are four teams that are left in this grueling and intense war.

Christmas’ team is currently facing Matthew Avret’s (Biscuit) team.

“I think that the two teams that will faceoff at the end,” Christmas said, “will be Tyler Darnell’s team and Dylan Lonaker’s team.”