Technology terminators

Students who mistreat computers can ruin it for the rest of the school

Members of the Richmond County schools IT department work on computers at Cross Creek

Emmanuel Mixon

Cross Creek High School media center specialist, Mrs. Orne, has a message for students: take care of the computers; they are all we’ve got.

There has been a problem with misuse and mistreatment of computers located in hallway labs and the library, Orne said. When asked the estimate amount of damaged computers, Orne said there have been over 50 work orders referred to the county for computer repairs. And that doesn’t include simple damage to computers, Orne added.

“There are a lot of things that can go wrong, but some I can fix,” Orne said.

Orne said problems with computers vary. There have been incidents where students stick pencils into the ventilation. There have also been reports of damage to keyboards and monitors.

“Students are hurting themselves (by damaging computers),” said Mrs.Orne, adding that there is no money to replace the computers.

However, some computers have faced simple wear and tear over the years.

Recently, a student who is still unknown did something to a computer that caused major problems for the Richmond county technician, Orne said. In fact, it took the whole county IT staff to fix it.

Orne and a Richmond County technician did not want to repeat what caused the computer to malfunction in fear of another student doing it again.

Orne stressed the need of students respect for the computers.

“Elementary kids take better care of things,” said Orne jokingly. “They need to keep their fingers off.”