JGG gives students path to career

Briunna Smith and Tyrell Prince

Tashay Livingstson

Briunna Smith and Tyrell Prince

Jobs for Georgia Graduates is one of the many electives offered here at Cross Creek.  JGG is an affiliate of the Georgia Department Georgia Department of Labor. The program was designed to help students do better in the workplace. It gives them a realistic outlook on life and helps them mature.

JGG is currently being advised by Dr. Cynthia Lovett, who has been working with JGG for the past five years now.

“I like JGG because I am able to help students grow from a seed into a flower,” Lovett said.

However, not everyone is accepted into JGG. There can only be 45-60 students accepted per school each year. Back when JGG was first introduced to Cross Creek, only seniors were eligible to join. After a while, Commissioner Mark Butler decided to make it so that all high school grade levels 9-12 were able to join. It would help advisors see growth from when students first started with JGG and where they ended. And because there can only be up to 60 students, they are very unique.

There are five main areas involved with JGG: leadership development, social awareness, career development, civic awareness, and community service. All areas focus on helping students get to know each other while gaining skills that will help them in the long run. Community service shows students how to give back to their community, while social awareness teaches them to surround themselves with the right group of people. Leadership, civic, and career development all help the students get a taste of the workplace.

JGG is more important for seniors, who go to competition around February and take everything they have learned all year to compete for a chance to win various prizes and even scholarships! Areas of competition may vary from teamwork to leadership to creative problem solving.  If students place in the top 3, they advance on to state competition and compete with the best of the best for bigger prizes and opportunities.

“Since I have been here, all JGG students have been successful.” says Dr. Lovett.  “We set goals for our students to target.” Advisors keep up with students for at least one year after they graduate to ensure that students are successful, whether they go into the military, college, or simply get a job. “I have seen so many young people on welfare having babies with no job or money to support their children. I want to help take them from step 1 to step 2. We offer jobs to nonworking parents, some of which only have a GED. We try to help them and we check in monthly to make sure they are doing well.” says Dr. Lovett.

Overall, the JGG program has been successful and as long as students continue to join, it can only get better in the future.